01 October 2009

Sumatera Earthquake

Thursday, October 01, 2009

After the shocking Tasikmalaya earthquake at the beginning of September, another devastating earthquake struck Indonesia at the end of this month. The tragic event occurred on September 30th at 17.15 and its epicenter was located 45 km WNW of Padang, Sumatera, and 220 km SW of Pekanbaru, Sumatera. Sumatera is one of the five main islands here in Indonesia.

According to the news this morning, until now there are around 529 death and the number keeps on raising (12th Sept update: 807 death). I'm afraid that we might end up with a much higher sum than at the previous event in Tasikmalaya, Java, Indonesia.

My family feels very grateful that my uncle who is currently located in Southern Sumatera has survived this terrible incident. But many, many others weren't that lucky.

It's really heartbreaking to see the news about Sumatera Earthquake right now. There are a lot of people still trapped in the ruins, including educational buildings. Many parents are still seeking for their children in the hope to find them alive...

Would you please be so kind to send your good thoughts and prayers for all of them. My deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathy goes out to all the victims of the Sumatera Earthquake natural disaster. May the survivors be found and rescued very soon, and have the strength and patience to carry on.

Condolence Card | Sumatera Earthquake

19 appreciated note(s):

Anonymous said...

It must be karma my friend. I just left a message this morning on your last post. I was worried about you and your family but I'm so glad that you all are okay. That's such good news. My thoughts are with all others who didn't fair as well. I send all the Aloha and Sunshine I can to you, your family, friends and all the other victims of this. I'm so glad you are okay :) Aloha xoxoxoxox

wenn said...

my condolences to the affected families..

Lin said...

I also thought of you when I heard this news, Rosidah. I'm grateful you and your family are safe and pray for the ones who were not so fortunate.
Lin

quilly said...

I have added my prayers to the voices raised in sorrow.

Anya said...

I was so worried about you Rosidah
I am happy to see a note from you
My condolences for all victims :(
Take care my good friend I think on your the whole day.....
hugs
Anya

Anonymous said...

So thankful that your family is safe. I will keep those affected by this horrible event in my prayers. Thank you for your kind comments on my post today.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I have been thinking about you, Rosidah, since hearing about all of the problems in your area. I am praying for all of you (and your family and friends) there. God be with you.
Hugs,
Betsy

chris federick said...

Gosh... a troubling news. Hope everyone can stay safe, but nothing in life is for sure. God works in mysterious ways I guess.

Tes said...

My condolences to the victims. Good to hear from you and know that you are well.

Candles are lit in my side of the universe to show support and vigilance for your people and mine (in the Philippines -flooding)

Take Care and keep well, my friend!

Anonymous said...

i hadn't heard the death toll was that high - i'm so sorry!

Nessa said...

i am very happy that your family is ok but I am praying for you all.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Glad to see you Rosidah, I was wondering how you were. Glad that your Uncle is OK, Prayers being sent.

Unknown said...

Thank God your uncle is safe. Our condolences to the affected families. May peace be upon them. Take care , Rosidah.

Anya said...

Hi Rosidah
I hope you can enjoy your weekend;)
hugs and we are thinking on you and your country I have also make a donation for the victims !!!
Anya

Anonymous said...

Me too My Girl I felt better seeing you post I figure you're ok if you can do that. You had a lot of people worried for you. When I read the news it hit me how great the distance is between us which didn't make me feel much better please please stay safe OK *hugs* & *squeezes*

Jientje said...

I'm so glad you're okay Rosidah. My condolances to the victims and their families.

RA said...

@All: Thanks for all good thoughts and prayers. Bless you, my dear friends.

Jama said...

The tremors was felt as far as Singapore and I felt nausea and saw slight swaying of the door chain!I'm staying in a top floor of a high rise building. I can't just imagine the suffering the people there have to go through at ground zero.
Hopefully all the aids poured in from overseas will reached those people affected especially those in far flung villages.

storyteller said...

My heart goes out to all affected by these disasters of nature.
Hugs and blessings,