18 June 2010

Sayings About Friendships

Friday, June 18, 2010

"A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and shift it, keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away."

~ Arabian Proverb (Source: www.friendship.com.au)

Who was your first friend? Did you have lots of friends when you were growing up or just one or two close friends? Share memories from your childhood friends. For women, were "mean girls" an issue when you were growing up? Or were you a "mean girl"?! How did your friends shape who you are today, for good or not-so-good? Do you still keep up with your childhood friends today?


The memories of my first friendships bring me back to kindergarten. Forgive the gray cells who just won't allow me to go beyond... I really love the graduation trip photo above, which portrays most of my best friends from that time. The little brown girl sitting in the first row is me.

As a child, I have learned that friendships are based on the heart, and you see a person for their warm personalities. Color, financial backgrounds, past or religion have never been barriers to make great bounds. I'm grateful to say that I grew up with many friends, and I can't recall that mean girls have ever been an issue. Maybe, because back then they just were a minority. You wouldn't go far by being a bully to others. It was not cool at all those days.

Friends always have been an important part of me. They helped me to grow through the ups and downs in life, and they still do. Even the experiences of some hurtful feelings have contributed to the person who I am today. Though sometimes it might be hard to meet up in person, I'm trying to keep up with my friends as best as I can. Thanks to technology, we still can be in touch and I have been reunited again with some lost friendships after separated from towns or countries.

What are your sayings about friendships? Have a friendly week, everyone.

Thanks to Linda
Sayings About Friendships | Flashback Friday #8

8 appreciated note(s):

Amanda Moore said...

what a beautiful post Rosidah, your quote was so genuine it was almost as if you had written it your self!

Mariuca said...

Let's see.... my oldest friend is a friend from primary school! Glad that we are still keeping in touch and thanks for this awesome reminder post sweetie, enjoy ur weekend! :D

Nessa said...

I loved your memories, so very sweet. The picture is great and your were adorable.

Cathy said...

Sweet memories and pictures.

Mocha with Linda said...

This is such a sweet post. I love the quote at the top. Thanks for participating and for your kind comments on my blog!

Susan said...

Great thoughts on friendship! Children do make friends so easily, most of the time not paying attention to the superficial differences adults do. I enjoyed your memories!

quilly said...

That picture is wonderful!

I can't get together with my childhood friends as often as I'd like, but as you say, they are forever a part of me and who I am.

Melissa B. said...

What a lovely, inspirational post. Thanks so much for sharing this!